On Monday, I celebrated the blog’s 5th anniversary (birthday?)! Five years ago Monday, I wrote my first blog post as Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza. Whoa.
Back then, I wrote a little about everything and anything. I wrote about DIY projects I was doing, but also about what I was having for dinner. Yawn. Seriously, like five people were reading it at that point.
But now, I am so grateful that Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza has bloomed into a full-fledged DIY blog and, as of 2014, a full-time business for me! It’s come a long way from having five people read about what I’m having for dinner!
On the occasion of the 5th anniversary, I decided that the blog needed a change.
In fact, I decided that the blog and I both needed some recharging.
I took most of December off so that I could recharge my batteries. I’m sure you guys are aware that I had been posting less and less as the year wore on. I needed to go inward and figure out if I wanted to continue blogging or if I just needed a change.
After much thought, reflection, and input from my fabulous friends, I decided that it was time to rebrand Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza to be more reflective of what it has become and is: a DIY & home blog.
I decided to rename it The DIY Bungalow for a few reasons:
- “DIY” is central to the name because it is the focus of the blog. Now, the blog name makes clear that this blog is about DIY projects you can do to make your house a home. And DIY encompasses decorating, building, repurposing, upcycling, painting, and more.
- “Bungalow” because that’s where I live – the 1929 bungalow. Because this is a blog about projects I do to decorate and improve that bungalow, I wanted it in the title. Also, I want readers to know that I don’t live in a fancy mansion or palatial estate. I live in a drafty, musty, old, lovely bungalow, and I’m trying to improve it and decorate it beautifully but also on a budget.
- “Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza” is a cute and memorable name and so many people know me as “Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza Karen.” But it isn’t reflective of the main subject matter of the blog. That has bothered me and I’m sure was confusing to potential readers. I will still have the Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza story on my blog (HERE) and the dogs will still be on the blog because they’re always underfoot (they think they’re “project managers” and I let them think that).
A couple of things you should know as I transition the blog from Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza to The DIY Bungalow:
- The content from the beginning of the blog forward will remain on the blog. I am not starting a new blog; I’m just renaming the old one. So, the projects you’ve loved from the past – and hopefully ones you’ll discover as I uncover old ones and refresh them – are still here and aren’t going anywhere.
- As I go through the rebranding process, I am reviewing every post on the blog. As a result, I might delete some old posts that are really uninteresting or don’t fit with the DIY/home focus of the blog. If I have deleted a post that you try to find (unlikely, because the ones I’m deleting are really boring!), you will be redirected to another page or post – usually my “About” page with the story of this blog. If you are looking for something and can’t find it, please email me at email@example.com (my email will eventually change, but Rome wasn’t built in a day so use this email for now).
- If you type in “www.dogsdonteatpizza.com” in your browser, you will be redirected to the new url www.thediybungalow.com. I’m planning to implement that with my host later today, so it should take effect by tomorrow, with any luck at all. If the site is down when you try it, just sit tight – it’ll take some time for the host to migrate the site over to the new url.
- My social media sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest) are all named The DIY Bungalow now, even though the headers and other features may not be changed yet. There may be some initial glitchy-ness with links to social media as everything transitions to the new name. Please let me know if anything like that happens and I’ll get on it and fix it.
I want to thank you for your support, comments, attention, and friendship over the last five years. It’s been an awesome ride and I can’t wait to continue it with this new chapter of the blog!
yay! so happy you decided to do the rebranding. I know that you’ve wanted to for awhile now.
I love the new name and the new look.
good luck with all the rest of the transformation.
Karen Cooper says
Thank you, Gail! I have been thinking about it for a long time. It’s so exciting and I can’t wait to roll out all the design changes!
Christina in FL says
Happy New Year/You Karen! Congratulations and I hope you are feeling super refreshed. The new brand and logo are wonderful, kudos to you!
I am looking forward to your posts.
Karen Cooper says
Thank you, Christina! I am feeling excited and refreshed! Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your support all these years! 🙂
That’s what the new year is all about—fresh starts, new beginnings! I’m betting you’re feeling renewed and revitalized by your decision. I’m certain many of us will come along for the ride! Congratulations on the The DIY Bungalow!
Karen Cooper says
Thank you, Karen! I am feeling renewed and excited about the changes! I hope everyone comes along – it’s going to be the same, but better! Thank you again!
Emily @ My Mom Made That says
Congrats on the new name and journey… I understand the change, but it will be hard to adjust! <3
Karen Cooper says
Awww…thank you, Emily! I will still answer to, “Hey! Dogs Don’t Eat Pizza Karen!” but it’s just that my blog won’t anymore! 😉 Thank you so much!!