(With thanks to The Police for my title quote…)
Yesterday, I sent out an SOS for my dining room. It was driving me insane. Couldn’t get it right. It wasn’t comfortable. It wasn’t right.
I got some great advice from you all:
(1) Empty the room and start fresh.
(2) See if moving the buffet to the other wall and taking out the armoire changes the feel of the room.
(4) Accept that I don’t like the table and that I made a mistake buying it (or at least that it’s not a permanent fixture here) and move on.
And I have taken your advice!
First, I stayed up on Sunday night thinking about this and I have accepted that this table is just not for me. I recognize and accept that, for the things that I got as gifts or bought just because it was a good deal (really only the table on that one) that really aren’t our style, I need to get rid of them. And I’m now ok with that. I didn’t sleep much on Sunday night coming to this conclusion, but I’m there and I’m ok with it.
Second, I did what my friend Holly from Storywood Designs (you should check out her blog – she’s amazingly talented!) suggested and checked out Pinterest, etc. for what inspired me. What did I learn?
(1) All the dining rooms I pinned or liked had rustic, rectangular tables. Farm tables.
(2) All of the dining rooms had blue and/or green incorporated in them (not surprising, considering that I figured out recently that all rooms in our home have green in them).
(3) Most of the rooms had brightly colored chairs – either painted or slipcovered in a bright color.
(4) All of the rooms had neutral walls.
(5) And, as you can see from images I pinned above, they all have funky, brightly colored art.
Third, I have started emptying the dining room. Here’s where I am with that, so far:
So that’s where I am right now. This morning, I am going to pack up the “stuff” I am keeping and move it to the guest room to get it out of there. I will also make a pile to donate or take to the furniture consignment store I like.
I’m still taking advice on this SOS – please let me know what you think!
Thanks for stopping by!