I have a love-hate relationship with IKEA.
On the one hand, I love their decor and most of their furniture and have found that you can find some good quality pieces there. For example, we have an EKTORP sofa in our living room that is 14 years old and, for the most part, still looks pretty good.
Plus, they are experts at staging their store so that you really want to buy their products and live in a 300 square-foot space!
On the other hand, though, putting together the furniture with only stick figure guidance is often hair-pullingly (is that a word?) frustrating. And sometimes the quality of their furniture isn’t the best.
So, I don’t know if the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls intoxicates me into an IKEA-loving stupor, but there are just some things that I always buy there that I love.
Here are five things I always buy at IKEA:
I love the MERETE curtains at IKEA. They are creamy white canvas curtains with grommets.
They’re in nearly every room in our home. To be honest, I did this after I read that Sarah Jessica Parker had them in every room of her home in the Hamptons! I thought, “If it’s good enough for SJP, it’s good enough for me!”
True story. Me and SJP are besties now.
The real reason I have them in nearly every room is:
- They’re washable! Perfect for a house with two messy kids and two big dogs.
- They block the light coming in and give us privacy when needed, but they’re light enough to let light in.
- I like the grommets. They make the curtains easy to slide along the rod to open or close them, and I love the industrial look of them.
- I like having a consistent look on the windows in each room. Having different patterned curtains in each room can be good, but it also can make the decor look busy. I like the calming look of the white curtains in each room. Plus, if I change the decor in the room, which I have been known to do from time to time, the curtains still go with whatever is there!
- They’re affordable – $40 for a pair! Can’t beat that!
2. Runners and (Some) Rugs
IKEA sells these sisal runners:
A 2’7″ x 7’10” runner is $40. Very affordable.
And I have them all over our home because, well, Hank Dog is 12. And we have hardwood floors throughout our home. And he slips sometimes. I don’t want him to break a hip, so I use these affordable, neutral-color runners throughout our home so that he’s comfortable.
I am such a
sucker good dog parent.
But seriously, they look nice, they solve a problem, and they prevent my floors from being scratched by dog nails! Win-win.
IKEA has other nice-looking rugs, too, and they’re definitely affordable!
3. Picture Frames
Especially large picture frames! IKEA’s frames are affordable and look nice.
My favorite frames are the large RIBBA frames, because I like the square edges and they’re built well. I have both black and white RIBBA frames in my home.
IKEA has baskets a go-go! Every size, shape, and material.
I have them all over my house for pretty, affordable storage.
5. Spatulas and Dish Towels
Hands down: IKEA has the best spatulas. I know it is insane that I know this. Here’s how I know: My mother bought me some fancy silicone spatulas, and I didn’t love them. They were too thick to really scrape down bowls well. The cheap IKEA ones are thinner and that makes them the perfect scraper!
Also, IKEA has great dish towels that are dirt cheap! They’re soft and durable, and can be refreshed with a hot wash cycle with bleach. I have like 10 of them under my sink!
What are your favorite IKEA products? Share in the comments!